Sunday 6 November 2016

Derby 10 Report

Gav Meadows
For the second week running, a duo of Grantham Running Club athletes travelled to compete in a 10 mile race suited to running fast times. This time it was Chris Limmer and Gav Meadows who took on the flat course at the Derby 10 Mile. Starting at the Pride Park Stadium, the route takes in Alvaston Park & Elvaston Castle Country Park before returning to the stadium for the finish. This was the first staging of the event.

Despite his younger age, Chris has many more years racing & training experience under his belt and was fully expected to cross the line first for GRC. He didn't disappoint, finishing in 1:00:24, approximately 1 minute slower than his personal best. His final position was an impressive 17th in a field of 775 runners. This was even more remarkable when you consider that only a week earlier he ran the Snowdonia Marathon - one of the toughest in Britain. He said 'This race went well until mile 8 when I paid the price for my efforts the week before. My quads tightened up & my pace slowed right down costing me a new PB'.

Gav also performed well, finishing in 63rd position with a time of 1:07:09 setting a new personal best by almost 2 minutes. This was his final race before a 2 week taper leading up to the Valencia Marathon on 20th November. He said 'I was very pleased with this performance for 2 reasons. Firstly I set a new PB which speaks for itself. However, I was more thrilled with the way I executed my race plan. My pace didn't vary by any more than 10 seconds per mile until my push for the finish line at mile 9. I've generally struggled to get my pacing right up to now so this was very pleasing indeed.'

 
Postion Time Name
Category
Grading AG Ranking
17 01:00:24 Chris Limmer
All
73:48%       912
62 01:07:09 Gav Meadows
MV35
66.92%       N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment